Energy Safe Victoria
Let's help you see the right content.

Please make a selection

We are using cookies.

Energy Safe Victoria uses cookies to help give you the best possible user experience. By continuing to browse this site you give consent for cookies to be used.


Rooming house gas safety check

A rooming house is a building where one or more rooms are available to rent, and four or more people in total can occupy those rooms.

Rooming house operators must comply with minimum standards set out in the Residential Tenancies (Rooming House Standards) Regulations 2012, administered by Consumer Affairs Victoria. These standards relate to privacy, security, safety and amenity in rooming houses. The minimum standards apply to a rooming house and its rooms, irrespective of whether the resident is on a rooming house agreement or individual tenancy agreement.

Gas safety check

Section 19 of these regulations requires that a gas safety check is conducted on a rooming house at least once every two years by a licensed gasfitter.

Section 23 of the regulations requires that a rooming house owner maintain a record of a gas safety check for a period of two years after the gas safety check is conducted.

Consumer Affairs Victoria

Consumer Affairs Victoria provides information about:

Contact us

If you have any queries in relation to gas safety in rooming houses, please contact our Gas Technical Helpline directly on 1800 652 563 or at