Gas pipeline and infrastructure safety
Energy Safe Victoria regulates the safety of gas infrastructure and licensed pipelines in Victoria. We are responsible for ensuring the public is protected from environmental, health and safety risks resulting from the operation of licensed pipelines, and for ensuring the safe conveyance, sale, supply, and use of gas.
Regulation is conducted in accordance with the Gas Safety Act 1997, Pipelines Act 2005 and Gas Industry Act 2001 (the Acts). Find them on our legislation page.
ESV audits, monitors and reviews safety framework and construction and operation activities undertaken by the industry participants. In doing so, compliance is assessed in accordance with the applicable Australian and International Standards.
Gas and pipeline industry
The gas infrastructure and pipelines sector comprises:
- Licensed pipelines, which includes:
- natural gas transmission pipelines,
- petroleum, oxygen, carbon dioxide, hydrogen, nitrogen, compressed air, sulphuric acid and methanol pipelines, and
- the market operator – the Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO).
- Gas infrastructure, which includes:
- natural gas distribution,
- reticulated Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG),
- Liquefied Petroleum Gas retailers,
- Landfill biogas,
- Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG), and
- Compressed Natural Gas (CNG).
- Natural gas retailers.
Gas pipeline information bulletins
- Changes to the administration of environmental management requirements (Pipelines Act 2005)
- Illegal repairs to damaged live gas infrastructure
- Potential hazards associated with clearing internal blockages from drainage and sewer pipes
Key Performance Indicators (Natural Gas Transmission)
Key Performance Indicators (Non-Natural Gas Transmission)
Specifications for Victorian Licensed Pipelines Industry Group – reporting requirements
These reporting requirements came into effect on 1 July 2018.
If you have any queries in relation to gas infrastructure and pipeline safety, please contact our Gas Technical Helpline directly on 1800 652 563 or by email on email@example.com.