Solar installations and small scale generation
On this page and it’s subpages, ESV provides various guidance to ensure compliant solar and small scale generation installations.
Solar installations guidance documents
- Electrical Information Sheet 003 – Solar panel disconnection point
- Electrical Information Sheet 004 – Battery installation – Neutral continuity and MEN
- Ensuring a compliant PV installation – industry guidance
- Identifying mismatched d.c. connectors in PV installations – updated November 2022
- Working safely when installing photovoltaic (PV) systems
- Solar installations (PV) alterations requirements
- Grid connected inverter requirements from 18 December 2021
The Installation and inspection of grid-connected PV systems April 2015 (no battery storage) document has been superseded by Australian standards AS/NZS 5033:2014 (Incorporating Amendment No. 1 and Amendment No. 2) Installation and safety requirements for photovoltaic (PV) array and AS/NZS 4777.1:2016 Grid connection of energy systems via inverters Installation requirement.
Solar installations guidance pages
- PV d.c. isolator installation – Industry guidance
- PV systems documentation
- Who can work on large-scale solar farms?
Solar installations guidance news
- 17 December 2021: Grid connected inverters: certification to AS/NZS 4777.2:2020
- 24 November 2021: Revised industry standard – AS/NZS 5033:2021
- 25 October 2021: Poor documentation causing solar safety risk
- 15 September 2021: LEI solar inspection pilot program
- 26 November 2020: Solar inspectors – Understanding the PV audit checklist
- 21 October 2020: Solar inspectors – d.c. connector guidance
Solar industry links
- ERAC (Electrical Regulatory Authorities Council) provides various resources and publications about electrical products, installations and solar / small scale generation.
- Solar Victoria is responsible for the delivery of the Victorian Government’s Solar Homes Program and provides information for industry and the general public about this and other solar programs.
- WorkSafe Victoria provide guidance and assistance to ensure all employers and employees have a safe work place in the electrical and solar industry.
- Phone our technical line on (03) 9203 9700, select option 2 – ‘Electrical technical enquiries’
- Email us at ElectricalInstallationEnquiries@energysafe.vic.gov.au