Sale and supply of second-hand equipment
Second-hand equipment are electrical equipment that has previously been supplied or sold, other than by wholesale, but does not include electrical equipment—
- Acquired by the person for the purpose of using the equipment for a process of production or manufacture; or
- Acquired by a person (other than a second-hand dealer) for the purpose of re-supply; or
- Returned to a supplier for refund or exchange
If you are selling or supplying second-hand electrical equipment you must make certain information available to prospective buyers.
Organisations and individuals supplying or offering to supply second-hand electrical equipment must be aware of the legal obligations imposed on them under electricity safety legislation. These are the prescribed requirements:
- If the item of in-scope electrical equipment is tested for safety, the requirements set out in AS/NZS 5761 and tagged as per the requirements of AS/NZS 5761;
- if the item of in-scope electrical equipment is not tested for safety, that the item of in‑scope electrical equipment is—
- labelled or tagged as second-hand equipment or with the word “used”; and
- accompanied by information stating that the item of in-scope electrical equipment has not been tested for safety
Standards can be purchased from SAI Global Australia.