Energy Safe Victoria
Let's help you see the right content.

Please make a selection

We are using cookies.

Energy Safe Victoria uses cookies to help give you the best possible user experience. By continuing to browse this site you give consent for cookies to be used.


What to do in an electrical emergency

Electricity can kill in an instant. If lives are in danger call 000.


To report an electrical incident call 1800 000 922.

OR fill out our Electrical incident form.

  1. Click on the Download button to open the form.
  2. DOWNLOAD  the form to your computer.
    Note: If you do not download the form, the information you fill in will not be saved.
  3. Fill in each field.
  4. Save the completed form to your computer.
  5. Send the completed form to ESV (postal address listed on form).

Electricity supply companies

  • CitiPower 131 280
  • Powercor 132 412
  • AusNet Services 131 799
  • Jemena 131 626
  • United Energy 132 099

Fallen powerlines

Stay well clear – just standing near them can be fatal. 

Stay more than 8 – 10 metres away.

Always treat fallen powerlines as live even when they are broken. Never go near them or anything they may be touching, such as vehicles, metal fences or pools of water.

Call your electricity supply company (refer to the emergency and fault numbers listed below) and the Police to report the location of any fallen lines.

Power outages

Call your electricity supply company to let them know your power is out. For outage details, check their website/app.

Storms are the most common cause of power outages as strong winds often cause trees to fall across powerlines, interrupting supply.

Always be prepared for power outages and have a torch, charged mobile phone and battery-operated radio. If you use electricity to run a water pump, make sure you have an alternative source for fresh water or a non-electric pump available.

In the event of a power failure turn off and unplug all electrical appliances at the powerpoint. This will help to prevent equipment damage in the event of a power surge.

For more information, read our Guide to power outages brochure.

Household electrical issues

NEVER do your own electrical work – see our DDIY campaign.

Contact a registered electrical contractor in your local area and arrange for a licensed electrician to visit. Ensure they are licensed and insist on a Certificate of Electrical Safety when the job is completed.

Find your local electrical tradesperson here.