Licensing for electrical apprentices
ESV has established special licensing arrangements for apprentices completing their contract of training while public health restrictions are in place for all non-essential activities.
Persons under a contract of training as an apprentice electrician are deemed to be licensed for a period of three months post the completion date of their contract of training, whilst working under effective supervision. After this date, the person must hold an electrical workers licence to continue to carry out electrical installation work.
Due to the temporary shutdown of some LEA assessment venues, ESV will consider, on a case-by-case basis, the issuing of a Conditional Supervised Workers Licence to applicants who have not completed the SWP assessment, but meet all other criteria as listed below. Future Energy Skills is open, or contact your local RTO.
Requirements for application under COVID-19 arrangements
- Have completed a four-year contract of training as an apprentice electrician, including at least 12 months’ experience carrying out electrical installation work with written confirmation by the employer,
- Hold a Certificate III in Electrotechnology Electrician or equivalent, and
- Have a letter of completion confirming the completion of your apprenticeship from the VRQA, with a completion date of no later than 31 December 2020*.
If you meet the above criteria, you must submit the following with your application:
- The Certificate of Completion of an apprenticeship from the Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority with a completion date no later than 31 December 2020*,
- Evidence of 12 months’ experience carrying out electrical installation work. For example, include a letter from your employer providing details of your experience, and
- Payment of the application fee.
*This date may be reviewed and extended as necessary as the situation evolves.
This licence may be issued under Regulation 21 (c) of the Electricity Safety (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2010. Any Supervised Workers Licence issued under these special conditions will state ‘Condition – must be supervised for all electrical work’ to differentiate this licence holder from a licence holder who has completed their SWP.
Applicants who are issued a licence under these conditions will be required to submit evidence of successful SWP completion within three months of the resumption of assessment services. Applicants who are issued a licence under these conditions and upgrade to their Electricians licence within six months of the resumption of assessment services, may be eligible to have a pro-rata portion of their application fee credited towards their Electricians licence application.
- Contact form
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call us on 1800 815 721 between the following hours:
|Monday, Thursday, Friday — 9:00am to 4:00pm|
|Tuesday — 12:30pm to 4:00pm|
|Wednesday — 9:00am to 12:30pm|