Advice for tradespeople
As an essential service, electrical workers and gasfitters are and permitted to carry out work, both domestically and commercially.
Protect yourself and others
If you are feeling unwell or displaying symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19), a cold or flu, do not attend sites – seek medical advice.
For advice on coronavirus visit www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au or call the hotline on 1800 675 398.
When attending a property
Use clear communication to explain to your customer what steps you are taking to ensure the health and safety of the household and yourself.
Before attending the premises, ask your customer if anyone in their household:
- has tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19)
- is feeling unwell or has any cold or flu-like symptoms
- has been in contact with someone diagnosed with the virus
- has travelled from overseas recently and is under quarantine orders
- and/or anyone in the home is self-isolating.
Before entering the premises check the front door for a public health notice. A public health notice is intended to alert people entering a premises of any health risks.
In these circumstances only enter a premises in an emergency or for urgent repairs. Consider if the work can be deferred to a later date.
Prevent the spread
- Keep your distance: follow physical distancing directions – stay at least 1.5 metres away from your customer and when inside ensure there is 4 square metres per person. If necessary, ask your customer to move out of the room to allow you to carry out the work.
- Avoid touching surfaces such as benches and door handles with your bare hands
- Carry with you and use an alcohol-based hand sanitiser with 60-80% alcohol content.
- Wash your hands often with soap and running water for at least 20 seconds. Dry with paper towel or hand dryer.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze or cough and sneeze into your upper sleeve or elbow.
- Don’t touch your eyes, nose or mouth.
- Use cashless payment where possible.
- Limit your interactions with people as much as possible.
- Advise your customer that due to current public health directions, you must take additional safety precautions.
- Maintain a minimum of 1.5m between yourself and the customer at all times, and follow all other measures listed above.
- If works are inside the premises, advise your customer to wait in another room of the house with the door closed while the work is completed.
- If works are outside the premises, advise they must wait inside while the work is completed.
- Only if necessary should the customer show you or your worker the location of the works required.
- Complete the work as quickly as practicable, ensuring any electrical installation is left safe.
- If you must speak to the customer during the job for additional information or clarification, do so as briefly as possible and maintain your physical distance.
- Advise the customer when the work is complete and leave the property immediately.
- Immediately wash or sanitise your hands.
Ensuring a gas installation is safe is a fundamental responsibility for all gasfitters licensed to perform gas servicing on Type A appliances.
ESV and the VBA have developed specific information for gasfitters carrying out servicing of appliances as we head into the colder months.
Go to the Type A Gasfitters Toolbox here.