Energy Safe Victoria
Let's help you see the right content.

Please make a selection

We are using cookies.

Energy Safe Victoria uses cookies to help give you the best possible user experience. By continuing to browse this site you give consent for cookies to be used.


Choosing and using a tradesperson

As Victoria’s energy safety regulator, ESV’s principal role is to ensure the safe and efficient supply of energy to all Victorians. This includes providing the community with information and resources on the safe use of electricity and gas, including ensuring that tradespersons who undertake work on domestic and commercial properties are appropriately registered and have the right experience to carry out the work safely and to the standards expected.

Electrical professionals are licenced by ESV while plumbers and Gasfitters are licensed by the Victorian Building Authority (VBA).

You can, and should, ask to see a tradesperson’s licence. Never do your own electrical or gasfitting work.

Always engage a registered electrical contractor for any type of electrical work or a licensed or registered gasfitter for any gasfitting work.