Energy Safe Victoria
Let's help you see the right content.

Please make a selection

We are using cookies.

Energy Safe Victoria uses cookies to help give you the best possible user experience. By continuing to browse this site you give consent for cookies to be used.


Obligations of an REC

A person must not carry on or offer to carry on or hold out that the person carries on or is willing to carry on any class of electrical contracting that, under the regulations, is a prescribed class of electrical contracting unless the person is registered under the Electricity Safety Act 1998 as an electrical contractor in respect of electrical contracting of that class and holds the prescribed insurance. The prescribed insurance is insurance against public liability for personal injury or damage to property in conjunction with the electrical contracting work of the registered electrical contractor with a minimum cover of $5,000,000.

An REC is responsible for all electrical installation work it is engaged to carry out and must ensure that the work is safe, complies with the regulations, is inspected if required and that a certificate of electrical safety is issued for all work carried out. An REC must electronically notify ESV each time a certificate is completed, give a copy of the certificate to the person for whom the work was carried out and lodge a copy of the certificate with ESV.

An REC must not publish or cause to be published any advertisements, notice or statement that the contractor carries on or is willing to carry on electrical contracting work unless the advertisement, notice or statement includes the registered number of the contractor.

An REC must keep a register of licensed electrical installation workers who are employed by the contractor. This register must be available for inspection at all reasonable times by ESV. An REC must not employ a person in the carrying out of electrical installation work unless the person is a licensed electrical installation worker of a particular class related to the contractor’s business or an apprentice within the meaning of the Education and Training Reform Act 2006, in a trade that involves carrying out electrical installation work of a class relating to the contractor’s business.

An application for renewal of registration must be accompanied by details of any changes in the information provided in the application for the registration or for the most recent renewal of registration or in any other circumstances relating to the application.

Registered electrical contractors must notify ESV in writing within 10 business days after:

  • any change in the circumstances of a person nominated as a technical supervisor that would affect the person’s ability to effectively supervise electrical installation work carried out by the electrical contractor
  • any change in the circumstances of a person nominated as a business supervisor that would affect the person’s ability to be responsible for the management and administration of the business of the electrical contractor
  • any other circumstances relating to the name or status as a legal person of the registered electrical contractor.


As an REC you are required to ensure that:

  1. Whenever carrying out or offering to carry out electrical contracting work, you will hold a current contract of insurance against public liability for any personal injury or damage to property that may arise in connection with electrical contracting work with a minimum cover of $5,000,000.
  2. The insurance cover will be in the name of the electrical contractor as registered with ESV.
  3. The electrical contractor registered with ESV will provide evidence to ESV showing that the contractor holds the required insurance cover, whenever requested by ESV.

Note: Carrying out or offering to carry out electrical contracting work without the required insurance is a criminal offence.

Penalty: In the case of a natural person (an individual or sole proprietor), 50 penalty units and in the case of a body corporate (corporation or company) 250 penalty units.

Keep your registration card in a safe place and only carry out electrical contracting work if you satisfy the conditions above.

Changing details

ESV must be informed of any changes to registration information within 10 business days of the relevant event. This includes a change in business type, contact details or the addition or change of a business or technical supervisor. This can be managed via the ESVConnect portal.


Refer to ESV’s Licensing fees for each licence type.

Application fees for electrical licensing and registration are non-refundable. A new application and fee will be required should you choose to apply again.

Registration renewal

Licence and registration renewal is for a five-year period. Refer to the Electrical licensing fees page for renewal fees.

Access your licence, or registration renewal via your ESVConnect profile. Click on ‘Renew Licence’ button on the top right of your licence profile, or via ‘Start Renewal’ located top right of your registration profile. This is accessible exactly three months prior to your licence or registration expiry date.

It is your responsibility to ensure your licence is current and that ESV has the correct contact details for you.

Energy Safe Victoria must cancel the registration of an electrical contractor who fails to apply for renewal of registration by the renewal date.

You can renew your licence via ESVConnect with a Credit card.

Contact Us

You can contact our licensing team in the following ways;

Monday, Thursday, Friday — 9:00am to 4:00pm
Tuesday — 12:30pm to 4:00pm
Wednesday — 9:00am to 12:30pm