Energy Safe Victoria

Let's help you see the right content.

Please make a selection

We are using cookies.

Energy Safe Victoria uses cookies to help give you the best possible user experience. By continuing to browse this site you give consent for cookies to be used.


Changing registration details

It is the responsibility of the licensed individual or business to ensure ESV is informed of any changes to their registration information, such as business type, contact details or the addition of a nominee.

Most changes to registration details can be requested via ESV’s Online Services. All required evidentiary documentation must be scanned and attached.

Alternatively, changes to registration details together with supporting documentation can be made by emailing our Licensing team at, or via fax (03) 9686 2197 or mail to PO Box 262, Collins Street West, VIC 8007.

Changing the applicant

The applicant is the person responsible for the registration.

To change the applicant, advise ESV in writing on company letterhead, providing the full name of the applicant to be removed and the new applicant’s full name, date of birth, address and effective start date.

As the registration is being transferred to another person, ESV requires a Certificate of Currency showing current public liability insurance is in place.

If registered as a Corporation, an ASIC List of Directors no older than six (6) weeks is also required.

If you are unsure who the responsible person currently is, you can find out by logging into ESV’s Online Services.

Changing the type of registration

Changing to a partnership

If the business is changing to a partnership, written advice is required on letterhead. Details must be provided of the changes to the registration, the partner/s full names, date of birth, addresses and an updated Certificate of Currency.

The current REC registration card must be returned to ESV and a new card will be issued once the changes have been finalised.

Changing from a partnership to sole proprietor

Changing from a partnership to a sole proprietor requires written advice on letterhead with details of the partner/s names, date of birth and addresses and details of who the sole proprietor will be. An updated Certificate of Currency is also required.

The current REC registration card must be returned to ESV and a new card will be issued once the changes have been finalised.

Changing to a corporation (company)

If you are changing to a CORPORATION, you must advise ESV in writing on company letterhead and provide the following information:

  • ASIC extract – providing information on the Directors and Secretary of the company
  • Updated Certificate of Incorporation for the company
  • Updated Certificate of Currency

ESV requires all Electrical Contractors applying for Corporation Registration to acknowledge the following condition in writing:

  • By changing to a corporation or applying as a company, the registration number allocated will remain with the company and the ACN to which it has applied or is updated for. It can only be continued as a result of Changing the Company Name, and retaining the same ACN. It cannot be transferred between different company names.

The request for change to a corporation must be signed by a Director or the Secretary of the company, or by a person suitably authorised to act on the Directors’ behalf.

If changing your registration type, consider whether you need to update the following:

  • ABN
  • Stationery
  • Vehicles (advertising)
  • Insurance details

Adding a business name

To add a business name, advise ESV in writing on company letterhead, providing details of the changes to the registration, a copy of the Business Name Certificate and a copy of the updated Certificate of Currency, which correctly reflects the business name.

The current registration card must be returned to ESV and a new card will be issued once the changes have been finalised.

For example:

Joe Smith Sole proprietor
Joe Smith Trading as Smith Electrics Sole proprietor with business name
Joe & Joanne Smith Partnership
Joe & Joanne Smith trading as Smith Electrics Partnership with business name
Smith Electrics Pty Ltd Corporation
Smith Electrics Pty Ltd trading as Smith Electrics Corporation with business name

Adding or changing a supervisor

Supervisor changes can be requested in writing or via ESV’s Online Services, with all required supporting evidence and the Technical and Business nominee/supervisor consent declaration form completed, scanned and attached.

The Business and technical supervisors page provides more information about adding or changing a business or technical supervisor.

Contact our Licensing team

If you need assistance with ESV’s online forms or have a query about licensing and registration, contact our Licensing and Registration team directly on 1800 815 721 or send an email to and we will attend to your query as soon as possible.

If you call the Licensing team after 4 pm, leave a message and one of our team will return your call the following business day.