Energy Safe Victoria
Let's help you see the right content.

Please make a selection

We are using cookies.

Energy Safe Victoria uses cookies to help give you the best possible user experience. By continuing to browse this site you give consent for cookies to be used.


Business and technical supervisors

Energy Safe Victoria requires Registered Electrical Contractors (RECs) to operate in a fair, ethical and compliant manner.

To be registered as an REC all businesses must have a business supervisor and a technical supervisor.

Business supervisor

The person listed as the business supervisor assumes responsibility for the management and administration of the business.

If the applicant for registration will not be responsible for the business management and administration of the REC, ESV will accept an application for the business supervisor from a qualified practitioner who is a member of an accounting body.

ESV may also consider a person holding related business management qualifications or a degree for the business supervisor role if the qualifications are deemed equivalent to the Registered Electrical Contractors Course.

ESV requires an applicant’s consent to be the REC’s technical supervisor; an employer cannot force or demand that an employee act in this capacity.

What do I need to do to be a business supervisor?

  • Complete the Registered Electrical Contractors Course, available at local education institutes, and
  • Complete the relevant nomination form for a business supervisor.

Technical supervisor

This role includes ensuring all electrical work is designed and executed in a professional manner, all apprentices and/or workers holding a Supervised Electrical Worker’s Licence are appropriately supervised and all work is carried out by qualified persons using the correct materials to be compliant with the applicable regulations.

Additionally, the technical supervisor must ensure that Certificates of Electrical Safety (COES) are completed, lodged and sent to ESV, as the ‘responsible person’.

Read more on the Responsibilities of a technical supervisor.

What do I need to do to be a technical supervisor?

Complete the relevant nomination form for a technical supervisor, satisfying the technical criteria required to act in this capacity. If you are unable to satisfy the requirements, you may complete your consent under technical experience – see below. ESV reserves the right to refuse technical experience, and may require you to complete the Licensed Electrician’s Assessment (LEA).

Additionally, you will:

  • Hold, and continue to hold, a current Victorian Electrician’s Licence and be able to supply at least one of the following:
    • Evidence of completion of the Licensed Electrician’s Assessment (LEA) within 5 years from the date of your application
    • Evidence of holding a ‘G’ class inspector licence, or
    • Evidence of completion of a Capstone Assessment in another state or jurisdiction, which ESV recognises as an equivalent requirement.

Technical experience

To apply under technical experience written references must be provided from past/current employer(s) to cover employment for a period of approximately 10 years (post 2007) to demonstrate that you have been actively working as an electrician. References must be provided on company letterhead, dated and signed (by a technical supervisor/manager) and include:

  • period of employment, and
  • a detailed breakdown of the type of hands-on electrical installation experience.

I hold an Electrical Contractors Registration and I want to change my supervisor. What do I need to do?

Supervisor changes must be requested in writing via email or letter. The request must include:

  • Written request from the REC holder or Company Director requesting the addition of the Technical and/or Business Supervisor. If submitting a letter, it must be currently dated and signed by the REC holder or Company Director
  • Completed Technical and/or Business Supervisor Nomination Form
  • Supporting evidence for the Technical and/or Business Supervisor (refer to the form for details on supporting documents).

Contact Us

You can contact our licensing team in the following ways;

Monday, Thursday, Friday — 9:00am to 4:00pm
Tuesday — 12:30pm to 4:00pm
Wednesday — 9:00am to 12:30pm