ESVConnect has been designed so users meet all the requirements of the Electricity Safety Act (the Act) and Electricity Safety (Installations) Regulations.
All Electrical licence holders, REC Technical and Business Supervisors and Licensed Electrical Inspectors have legal obligations and must complete those obligations in ESVConnect.
It is the duty of the Responsible Person (REC Technical Nominee, A Grade licence holder, REL holder or Switchgear Licence holder) and LEIs to understand the legislation. All provisions of the Act and Regulations pertaining to COES and electrical inspections are mandatory.
Failure to comply with these requirements is a criminal offence and licensed workers who do so may be subject to disciplinary action which could result in the suspension or cancellation of their licence or registration.
ESVConnect is the primary system for online regulation of the electrical industry in Victoria – for licensing, REC registration, COES and registration of cathodic protection systems.
Watch: Introducing ESVConnect. This animated video broadly describes how ESVConnect works.
- LEWs and RECs can purchase Prescribed and/or Non-Prescribed certificates, manage electrical installation certifications and review and download completed certificates of Electrical Safety.
- Licensed electrical inspectors (LEIs) and inspection companies (ICs) can manage electrical inspections, including allocate inspection requests to LEI’s on their workers list.
Supporting ESVConnect users
ESV has compiled a list of Frequently Asked Questions on ESVConnect COES.
In built help
ESVConnect has in-built support and helpful information to guide you through the certification process and to assist the user when purchasing and completing the certification process.
- Take a tour – click through help screens demonstrating the main functions of the system.
- ‘Help’ text – on each screen to assist users via step-by-step guidance.
ESVConnect includes the following types of certificates:
- Prescribed COES
- Non-prescribed COES.
Upgrade Online Services account process
Every person who holds an Electrical worker’s licence (Electrician, Restricted Electrical Licence and Switchgear licence) must upgrade their Online Services account individually.
You only need to upgrade your account once.
If you hold an electrical worker’s licence and other licences or registrations, they all will migrate across when your account is upgraded with your electrical worker licence User ID and password.
You must use your electrical licence user Id starting with a 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 and electrical licence password to upgrade to ESVConnect. You received these details when you obtained your electrical licence. These details are not your final log in details to ESVConnect.
Your ESVConnect log in will be the email address you nominate as your user name and the password will be the password you assign during the upgrade process.
If you have not upgraded your account, then:
- Go to the ESVConnect log in page
- Click on ESVConnect button
- Click the orange – “Upgrade online services account” button
- Enter your electrical licence user ID and password, then follow the prompts to the next screen
- Check your email address is correct, if not then update to the email address you would like to use as your log in, and provide a new password, then click ‘Upgrade‘.
- You will receive a verification code to your nominated email and ESVConnect will redirect you to the ESVConnect log in screen
- Log in to ESVConnect with the email address and password you provided during the upgrade account process – do not select ‘upgrade online services account’ again.
- Enter the verification code
- You will receive a welcome email to your nominated email and ESVConnect will redirect you to the ESVConnect log in screen again
- Log in to ESVConnect with the email address and password you provided during the upgrade account process – do not select ‘upgrade online services account‘ again.
You are now in ESVConnect.
All licenses and registrations that were linked to your electrical licence in online services will be migrated across under your new ESVConnect log in.
Once a Certificate of Electrical Safety has been generated in ESVConnect, Energy Safe Victoria cannot change any details on the certificate of Electrical Safety.
ESVConnect certification process
Purchasing of Certificates in ESVConnect can be completed through your applicable licence or REC profile. See COES fees for each type of COES.
The ESVConnect COES Guide explains the purchase process for:
Registered Electrical Contractors (RECs)
- On the ESVConnect homepage, click on the appropriate REC number under “My Registrations”
- In your REC Profile, select “Purchase Certificates”
- Follow the prompts to purchase certificates for your use under your REC
Licensed Electrical Workers (LEWs)
- On the ESVConnect homepage, click on the appropriate Licence number under “My Licences”
- In your Licence Profile, select “Purchase Certificates”
- Follow the prompts to purchase certificates for your use under your electrical licence
Certificates of Compliance (LEW and REC)
You can start and view Certificates of compliance in ‘My Installations’ located in the menu on the ESVConnect homepage
The ESVConnect COES Guide explains the process for:
• Drafting of a Certificate of Compliance
• Certifying a Certificate of Compliance
• Review and approve or Review and return process for a certificate of compliance, and
• Allocating completed prescribed certificates to an inspector or inspection company.
Certificate of Inspection (LEI)
Certificates of Inspection and inspection requests are located in ‘My Inspections’ located in the menu on the ESVConnect homepage
The ESVConnect COES Guide explains the processes for a Licensed Electrical Inspector including:
• Accept/Decline inspection request
• Complete a certificate of inspection as Compliant
• Complete a certificate of inspection as Non-Compliant
• Begin a certificate of inspection and return for amendment or defect rectification.
Review the Defects list.
Certificate of Electrical Safety
Your completed Certificates of Electrical Safety are located in ‘My Certificates’ located in the menu on the ESVConnect homepage.
The ESVConnect COES Guide explains the process for viewing and distributing Certificates of Electrical Safety
Note: ESV does not require an eCOES to be provided to ESV as it is already in the ESVConnect system.
- Prescribed and non-prescribed electrical installation work
- Multiple electrical installation certificate requirements page
- Defect list
- ES(I)R 238(3)
- Charging customers fees for COES
LEIs, ICs and RECs lists
- Licensed electrical inspectors (LEIs)
- Inspection Companies (ICs)
- Registered electrical contractors (RECs)
For advice and information about COES or using ESVConnectfor COES, contact our COES team in the following ways: