Independent Review of Victoria’s Electricity and Gas Network Safety Framework
On 19 January 2017, the Minister for Energy, Environment and Climate Change announced the Independent Review of Victoria’s Electricity and Gas Network Safety Framework (the Review), to be chaired by Dr. Paul Grimes. This review examined the design and adequacy of the safety regulatory system governing the safety of Victoria’s electricity and gas networks, including Energy Safe Victoria (ESV) structure and operations.
The final report of the review made 43 recommendations and includes nine chapters, eight of which include recommendations applicable to ESV.
The government response was released in August 2018 and supported 42 of the 43 recommendations either in full or in principle. Of these, 22 recommendations are directed to ESV.
- ESV is in the process of finalising a roadmap to realise the Review’s recommendations, which includes key milestones and final completion dates.
- In a demonstration of strong accountability and transparency, ESV provides quarterly progress reports to:
- DELWP for the development of quarterly public report.
- The Minister and Energy Interdepartmental Committee (Energy IDC).
- Review of Victoria’s Electricity and Gas Network Safety Framework – Final report, Government response and submissions
- Statement from the Director of Energy Safety, Paul Fearon