Regulatory Impact Statement
Proposed Electricity Safety (General) Regulations 2019
A Regulatory Impact Statement (RIS) has been prepared in relation to the proposed Electricity Safety (General) Regulations 2019 (the proposed Regulations).
The proposed Regulations, to be made under the Electricity Safety Act 1998, will replace the Electricity Safety (Installations) Regulations 2009, which sunset (expire) on 8 December 2019.
The objectives of the proposed Regulations are:
- to prescribe the methods to be followed in carrying out electrical installation work;
- to prescribe the quality of materials, fittings and apparatus to be used in connection with electrical installations;
- to provide for inspection of prescribed electrical installation work;
- to provide for the testing and certification of electrical installation work;
- to prescribe standards for the design, construction, operation and maintenance of electrical installations;
- to provide for the protection of persons from risk, and property from damage, associated with the generation, transmission, distribution and use of electricity;
- to prescribe certain provisions of these Regulations that create offences as provisions in respect of which infringement notices may be served; and
- to prescribe fees, penalties and other matters authorised by the Electricity Safety Act 1998.
The RIS examines the impact of the proposed Regulations and possible alternatives, and concludes that the proposed Regulations are the best means of meeting the objectives of the Regulations
Download the documents
Copies of the proposed Regulations and RIS are available for download below:
- Regulatory Impact Statement – Electricity Safety (General) Regulations 2019
- Public Consultation Draft – proposed Electricity Safety (General) Regulations 2019
Make a submission
ESV invites interested parties to make comments on the regulatory impact statement and proposed Regulations including any proposed fees.
All comments must be in writing and addressed to:
Risk, Regulatory Planning and Policy
Energy Safe Victoria
PO Box 262
Collins St West, Victoria 8007
Or by email to: Consultation@energysafe.vic.gov.au
All submissions will be treated as public documents and may be published on the ESV website with personal information omitted.
For any queries in relation to this RIS, call 03 9203 9700.
Submissions must be received by 5:00pm, Tuesday 8 October 2019.