Legislation and regulations
Energy Safe Victoria is a statutory body established by the Energy Safe Victoria Act 2005.
An amendment to the Energy Safe Victoria Act and Electricity Safety Act was passed in 2019
The legislation we administer is listed below. Most links will take you to the AustLII website.
- Electricity Safety Act 1998, Authorised Version No. 081, incorporating amendments as at 1 January 2021
- Electricity Safety (General) Regulations 2019 (commenced 6 December 2019)
- Electricity Safety (Installations) Regulations 2009 (revoked 6 December 2019)
- Appendix K to AS/NZS 3000 (as published 12 November 2007) (revoked 6 December 2019)
NOTE: In Victoria you must comply with Appendix K in relation to the installation, alteration, repair, maintenance and testing of high voltage electrical installations (See regulations 202(c) and 231(2) of the Electricity Safety (Installations) Regulations 2009).
- Electricity Safety (Cathodic Protection) Regulations 2019
- Electricity Safety (Management) Regulations 2019
- Electricity Safety (Equipment Safety Scheme) Regulations 2019
- Electricity Safety (Registration & Licensing) Regulations 2010 (revoked on 31 December 2020)
- Electricity Safety (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2020 (in force as of 1 January 2021)
- Electricity Safety (Electric Line Clearance) Regulations 2020
- Electricity Safety (Bushfire Mitigation) Regulations 2013
- Electricity Safety (Bushfire Mitigation Duties) Regulations 2017
- Gas Safety Act 1997
- Gas Safety (Gas Installation) Regulations 2018
- Gas Safety (Safety Case) Regulations 2018
Other key legislative instruments
- CPD Notice 2022
- Electricity Safety Exemptions Order 2020 (commenced 1 January 2021)
- Exemption – Construction of Electric Lines on Public Land
- Exemption – Payment form for electrical installations
- Electricity Safety Exemption Order (G17_1999)(Consolidated version incorporating amendments as at 10 February 2013) (revoked 31 December 2020)
- Electricity Safety Exemption Order (G36_2000) (revoked 31 December 2020)
- Electricity Safety Exemption Order (G50_1999) (revoked 31 December 2020)
If you have any queries in relation to energy safety legislation or any information on the following pages, please contact ESV on 03 9203 9700 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.